When all basic care and caution is taken, good quality fashion jewellery can last more than 20 years. As care and precaution, the very basic advice is to keep your jewellery protected from water, perfumes and rubbing against each other that might cause erosion/friction or metallic reaction. Perfume must be applied before wearing fashion jewellery. Always allow skin to dry after a shower before wearing fashion jewellery.
How to Clean Your Fashion Jewellery
1. Separate the Jewellery – If you have different types of jewellery, it is important to separate them before the cleaning process, as different metals react differently to cleaning agents. It is the best way to clean Jewellery and is somewhat similar to washing your white and coloured clothes separately. The polish on a particular piece of jewellery may tarnish another piece. Also, it is very important to keep the stone studded jewellery separate from the regular gold or silver polished ones. Since stones are stuck on the jewellery with adhesive (not the regular grade), chances are that too much of a cleaning agent can make them come off.
2. Pick a Cleaning Agent –The Next Step is picking the right Cleansing Agent. There are a lot of professional jewellery cleaning solutions available in the market. While buying one, always read the ingredients of the solution and choose one which is free from ammonia and alcohol.
There is also the option of using home-based solutions which can be prepared with easily available ingredients found at home.
Lemon– The good old lemon is our favourite ingredient. The citric acid in lemon attracts dirt and grime like a magnet. As a bonus, it can also restore the shine of your jewellery pieces. Take the juice of a small lemon on a soft cloth and rub well. Don’t leave this on but rinse off immediately after rubbing. Lemon works especially well on silver.
Vinegar–Ensure that you pick up white vinegar for this. Prepare a solution of white vinegar and water and then soak the jewellery in it for some time. Then take a soft toothbrush, dip it into the solution and get into all the small nooks and corners.
Mild Shampoo– A mild shampoo, such as baby shampoo is a very effective cleanser to clean fake Jewellery. It is the Best way to clean Jewellery made up of pearl. It can help whiten the pearls whilst getting rid of dirt and grime accumulated over time. This is the Best Way to Clean Fake Jewellery.
Contact Lens Solution– This can be a very effective agent to clean artificial jewellery as long as you know your way around it. Ensure that the solution is diluted with water; otherwise, it can harm the coat of paint. Take a soft cloth, dip it in the solution and gently wipe your pearls with it.
3. Identify a Cleaning Tool - There are three safe options. A) Soft cloth (like a microfiber cloth); B) Baby toothbrush (though not suitable for all items as it may cause abrasions. Pick depending upon what you are cleaning and the delicateness of the item); C) Soft Sponge.
4. Maintenance - Always put on your perfumes and lotions before putting on your jewellery and wait until they are dry. The chemicals in these have the potential to tarnish your jewellery. Also while taking them off, it is very important to gently wipe each piece with a soft microfiber cloth to remove any sweat/ grime.
5. Storage - Keep each jewellery piece wrapped in cotton for maximum durability, and have separate storage compartments for silver and gold plated jewellery.
Following our above stated care and precaution tips will definitely ensure that your favourite jewellery pieces are always shining.